Friday, December 5, 2014

SHIKAOI YAKI (鹿追焼)-Ceramics of Hokkaido


When I first came upon this three piece sake set my initial thought was "Oh! Bizen". I was surprised when I turned the tokkuri over to find another "Yaki" written there. After some research I discovered that it was made in Hokkaido. Hokkaido is not especially known for its ceramics but it seems that there is an up and coming ceramics scene up north. 
Modern Japanese Ceramics, Pathways of Innovation & Tradition by Anneliese Crueger gives a brief history of ceramics in Hokkaido. It appears that kilns blossomed during the 1960's -1980's. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Helpful Vocabulary When Researching Japanese Ceramics

Vocabulary when searching for Japanese Ceramics *I will be adding to this list Dating   ( 江戸) Edo Period (1603-1868)   (江戸 前期) Ea...